You live in a small university town. Last week, you drove to a big city about two hours away to buy a new laptop at a good price. You worked on the laptop all week and finished writing a long assignment that is due shortly. However, this week, the laptop doesn’t even switch on. Write to the store. In your letter:
• tell the store where you live & what happened
• explain the problem with the laptop
• state what action you would like the store to take
Write at least 150 words
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am an honours student living 2 hours away from your store on the campus of Troyden University. I am writing to let you know that I wish to exchange the laptop that I bought from your store last week. It is an HP model 2230 with no extra accessories. I hope that you will consider my situation favourably.
Let me explain in more detail. The trouble started this morning when I could not turn on the laptop. Until this morning, it was in perfect working condition. I have an important assignment that is due in 2 days. I have worked on the assignment for close to 45 hours and do not have the time to start writing another one.
Would you please have either a technician come over and fix the problem with the computer or have someone replace the computer after extracting the document I have worked on? As time is of the essence, I need someone as quickly as possible.
Hoping to hear from you soon.
What are the criteria for getting an 8+ in your letter
• Writing on topic: This means that you should not deviate from what is asked of you in the question. The prompts need to be answered adequately. Each prompt should be give a paragraph to be answered and the student should keep in mind that he does not interchange the information of each paragraphs.
• Using vocabulary precise to the topic: Always use vocabulary you are a 100% sure of. This means that you will not make any errors in your letter. Using a higher level of vocabulary will make you lose marks in the exam if it is used incorrectly.
• Using accurate grammar: Ensure the tenses at all the places are correctly used. Look at the tenses and please ensure that it is being used correctly. The student should understand the concept of articles and nouns and use it correctly. Use of plurals should also be kept in mind. Another key point is use of appropriate adverbs, prepositions and adjectives. Using complex sentences will get you more marks but that is to be used only if you are confident about your grammar. You are advised to stick to simple sentences for when you are not confident, wrong use of grammar will lead to deduction of marks.
• Using a logical structure for your letter: The letter lets you
o Paragraph one tells the store where you live and what happened
o Paragraph two explains the problem with the laptop
o Paragraph three talks about what is needed to be done
FORMAT FOR LETTER
• Reason for writing the letter
• Explanation of the situation
• Signing off
Endings for Formal Letters: Please do not venture away from these endings. They are a safe way for you to get marks
• Kind regards
• Warm regards
• Best regards
• Thanks Again
• Yours Truly
For more information on IELTS/PTE exams or overseas studies, feel free to give us a buzz at 9900426501