Master’s Degree in Australia – Higher Education
University courses of study include bachelor’s degree at the undergraduate level. At the postgraduate level, graduate certificates and diplomas are offered in addition to master’s and doctorate degrees. Master’s programs in Australia are available in many disciplines including social sciences, engineering, health sciences, business, and economics. Master’s degrees in Australia usually involve research or coursework, or a combination of both.
Why Study in Australia?
There are many benefits of studying in Australia. In addition to Australia being a great place to live, Australian master’s degree programs are among the highest quality in the world. The Australian academic environment fosters innovation, creativity, and independent thought.
Australia is committed to ensuring international students have a good experience in Australia. Australian universities that admit international students must adhere to a strict set of requirements regarding marketing activities, course delivery, facilities, and student services such as legal and health services. For students with good academic history, there are also very good scholarship chances in Australia.
Best Australian Universities
Four of Australia’s 39 universities are ranked in the top 100 by the 2012-2013 Times Higher Education World University Rankings. These schools include the University of Melbourne (28th), Australian National University (37th), the University of Sydney (62nd), and the University of Queensland (65th). About 230,000 international students attend higher education programs in Australia, with about 90,000 graduates each year.
Tuition and Program Duration in Australia
International students who want to study in Australia must pay tuition and fees before beginning master’s program studies. Typical tuition for master’s degrees is A$15,000 to A$36,000 per year depending upon the university.
Masters degree programs in Australia take 1-2 years to complete. The course of study is usually two years after a bachelor degree; however, a master’s degree can be obtained in one year if the student’s bachelor degree was obtained with honors.
Admission months in Australia
The academic year in Australia begins in early March and runs through late November. Most Australian colleges offer two semesters each year, but some schools use a trimester system and other schools offer summer courses from December to February.
Post-Graduate Opportunities in Australia
A master’s degree in any discipline from an Australian university makes a graduate more valuable to employers worldwide. In addition, recent legislation was passed that permits international graduates of Australian colleges to obtain a post-study work visa that allows them to work in Australia for up to four years after graduation.
However, although international students may be eligible to work in Australia after graduation, students should not undertake studies in Australia for the sole purpose of migration. Australia provides preferential migration treatment for individuals on a Skilled Occupations List, but the skilled immigration process is separate from the student visa process. There is no guarantee that a student studying for a master’s degree in Australia will be able to get immigration in Australia. There are many conditions to get immigration to Australia.
After completing a master’s degree from Australian university, students may also continue their studies if they are admitted to a doctoral program and obtain an additional student visa in Australia.
Visa Requirements for Australia
To obtain a student visa in Australia, students must be enrolled in a full-time course that is registered with the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). Students enrolled in a short course of less than 3 months can study on a visitor visa. However, only students with a student visa in Australia will have access to Australian health care and part-time work. Students may apply for a student visa in Australia once they receive a letter of offer or electronic confirmation of enrollment from Australian university.
Health Insurance in Australia
Australia has a special health insurance program for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). Students should buy OSHC before arriving in Australia and coverage must be maintained for the duration of the student’s stay on a student visa. OSHC covers medical or hospital care and partially covers prescription medication and ambulances.
Tips before going to Australia
Much of Australia is unsettled and visitors need to be aware of the hazards associated with travel in the outback. Even when not in the outback, sun protection should be used at all times, and travelers should drink plenty of water.
Say Hurray! To Australia
With dreams in their hearts and a song in their souls, suddenly students from all walks of life have discovered that Australia is a destination of opportunities – for studying, foot printing, backpacking, emigrating, working etc.
Located in the Indian and Pacific Oceans, it is also the world’s largest island. Indian student have discovered that the ‘outback’ is suddenly attractive as a place of study. “English” is the medium of language, and so students find it easy to integrate themselves into the local environment.
Top 5 tips to prepare yourself as you get ready to take the ‘outback’ ride.
1. Start with The international English language Testing system (IELTS), the world’s best English language proficiency test for higher education and global migration.
*Approximately 6 million students have taken the tests in 2016-2017 (quote source) With IELTS, you will be able to assess all of your English skills like reading, writing,listening and speaking – efficiently. The tests are designed in a way to train you how to use English as your natural medium while studying, talking, listening and learning. Take IELTS ACADEMIC or GENERAL – depending on the University you are applying to, and make the most out of your opportunity to learn.
2. If you plan to apply to as many Universities as possible, you must consider PTE Academic, the world’s leading computer-based English test for studying abroad and immigration. PTE Academic has an advantage as the results are available within five business days. More importantly, the test uses real-life material and tasks, such as writing memos and messages, understanding discussions and newspaper articles, or participating in roundtable or classroom discussions.
PTE Academic is considered a fair and secure test. The highly accurate computer marking ensures consistent scores and rules out potential bias for the examiner. This gives Universities confidence in your scores.PTE Academic is unlimited. Scores can be sent to as many institutions as you choose at no additional fees for extra score reports.
3. The OET is an English test that you need to take to work or study in the healthcare sector in the UK, Australia, New Zealand or Singapore. By taking the OET you will have proof that you have the right level of English, plus you’ll be learning the kind of language needed at work. OET is recognized as the test for English proficiency for studying and working in the healthcare sector.
4. Write a paragraph on how to apply for Visa and immigration.
5. As with any experience in many shifts, you may notice quite a few differences between Australia and your life in India. You may have been prepared for some, but there will always be others that will take you by surprise.
– Australians have a friendly and casual attitude. You may be surprised to find that it’s common to address tutors by their first names. Australians treat everyone respectfully, regardless of age, gender, sexual orientation, background or occupation.
– Australians use a lot of ‘Slang’ language and initially you may find it difficult to comprehend. Feel free to ask them what you don’t understand.
Contact us directly to get more information regarding the Top Australian Universities, Australian visa process, admission process in Australian Universities, best courses offered in Australian Universities, money required to study in Australia, eligibility criteria to study in Australia, requirements to get scholarship in Australian universities. Also for any other query you have regarding study in Australia.